Clinicians using the MC18 mobile computer spend less time managing stock and more time on patient care
BOURNE END – July 9, 2018 –Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), the market leader in rugged mobile computers, barcode scanners and barcode printers enhanced with software and services to enable real-time enterprise visibility, announced that Taunton and Somerset National Health Service (NHS) Foundation Trust is using the Zebra MC18 mobile computer and technology from Zebra partner, Ingenica Solutions for inventory management.
Based in the United Kingdom, the Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust implemented an electronic system that automatically replenishes inventory, replacing an existing manual process that led to overstocking and inefficiencies. Similarly, the Trust wanted to minimize the involvement of clinical teams in forecasting and product quality assurance so they could focus more time on patient care.
- The Trust implemented Ingenica Solutions’ 360 IM for the management of stock and replenishment. It has been deployed in 16 theatres across 8 locations including the head and neck theatres, central stores, orthopaedical theatres and general theatres, and day surgery, intense therapy unit, high dependency unit, and audiology.
- The Zebra MC18, a simple-to-use Android-based handheld mobile computer, operating Ingenica’s clinical mobility application, has the ability to scan multiple barcode formats and adjust in real-time product levels in Ingenica’s inventory management solution.
- The solution allows clinical teams to undertake several activities that previously could not be achieved. Now when a Health Care Assistant or scrub staff member removes an item and scans its barcode, the stock count is automatically updated within the specific location. The same applies when an item is returned.
- The entire deployment has realized benefits for the Trust including a 90% reduction in the time clinicians spend engaging in stock ordering and replenishment in the head and neck theatre. The solution has also reduced the level of storage space used, improved stock control and visibility, and ultimately improved patient care.
- This new inventory management solution is part of the Trust’s Scan4safety program, a barcode identification program that enables staff to track each patient through their hospital journey from admission to discharge. The resulting actionable insights enable hospitals to significantly enhance the quality of patient care and improve medical stock management.
- The project is compliant with GS1 global standards for capturing and sharing health-related information.
Monika Nott, Project Lead at Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust and participant member of the Southern GS1 and Scan4Safety Adoption Group
“Using Ingenica’s inventory management solution, the first GS1 certified in the UK healthcare market, and Zebra MC18 mobile computer, we have transformed our process, improved data collection and secured much greater control over purchasing and inventory. Our staff can also dedicate more time to clinical activity and ultimately improve patient care.”
Nicola Hall, Founder, Ingenica Solutions
“Zebra Technologies has the best scanning technology in the marketplace, and our work with them continues to grow as we collaborate on solutions both for today and tomorrow within the Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.”
Wayne Miller, Healthcare Director EMEA, Zebra Technologies
"This deployment is proof of the powerful benefits that clinical mobility can have at multiple levels of care. Not only are there obvious cost and operational savings in the way stock is managed, but it also reduces the time NHS clinicians spend overseeing the supply chain. This means they can spend more time on improving the quality of patient care.”
With the unparalleled operational visibility Zebra (NASDAQ: ZBRA) provides, enterprises become as smart and connected as the world we live in. Real-time information – gleaned from visionary solutions including hardware, software and services – give organizations the competitive edge they need to simplify operations, know more about their businesses and customers and empower their mobile workers to succeed in today’s data-centric world. For more information, visit www.zebra.com or sign up for our news alerts. Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
+33 (0) 607 956 184
Industry Analyst Contact:
ZEBRA and the stylized Zebra head are trademarks of ZIH Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Android is a trademark of Google, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2018 ZIH Corp. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.